It's laughable that I'm sharing a recipe with you. Laughable because I am so culinary challenged it is crippling. I wish I was exaggerating. I have actually burned water.
I'm a shame to Armenian women everywhere.
My sister Ani knows this about me and tried to help. She hosted a bridal shower for me 15 years ago and had each of the guests write a recipe on a card and made a recipe book for me. I actually do use it – mainly for exactly two recipes, one of which I will share below.
I love this recipe for many reasons:
1. It's from my cousin Suzy. I love my cousin Suzy.
2. It's dessert. I love dessert.
3. It only has 6 ingredients, and they are all familiar. When I read a recipe that includes an ingredient or an instruction that I've never heard of, I get intimidated and immediately pass on it.
4. It does not involve any actual cooking. Or baking. Or turning on an oven. Or potential fires. It literally involves crushing and stirring.
5. It looks so pretty and professional when it's done.
6. Everyone loves this dessert. It's a guaranteed winner.
The recipe is called Heavenly Dirt. This is what Suzy calls it, and it's an apt title. I just made it recently and, once again, everyone raved. Warning, it's quite rich (even with some modifications), so a small helping goes a long way. Enjoy!
One 8-oz. package of cream cheese (I use 4 oz.) – room temperature
One 8-oz container of Cool Whip (I use about 12 oz.) – room temperature
One cup of powdered sugar
One package of vanilla pudding
1-1/2 cups of milk
One package of Oreos (sometimes I use a little more)
1. Mix all of the ingredients (except the Oreos) until smooth.
2. Crush the Oreos (I put them in a Ziploc bag and use a mug).
3. Layer crumbs first, then cream, then crumbs, then cream, then crumbs on top (a trifle bowl or any clear glass bowl makes it prettier).
That's it! I told you it was easy!